In years gone by, it was all about body conscious ensembles that hugged hips and accentuated curves. Then there was the skinny jeans craze with the 11"-wide openings and zero breathing room. Well, Summer is all about volume and being bold, and the wide leg is coming through in a major way. Cue Toni Braxton's Breathe Again! For those devoted to the skinny jean, don't be intimidated by this look. We know it can admittedly seem a bit daunting at first. But we also know our army of fiercely creative fashion lovers are always down to try something new, spinning them and making them their own. We've rounded up a few styling tips and suggestions for accessorizing your wide legs, to get those creative juices flowing.
1. Try pairing your wide legs with a fitted top. It's important to maintain balance when pulling off this style. Oversized on the bottom ... fitted on top.
2. Try to accentuate your waist with a corset or belt. This will help add some definition to the overall look.
3. Stay away from heavy fabrics. Wide legs are best worn in lighter-weight fabrics to compensate for that voluminous, bold look.
4. Transition seamlessly throughout the day with a few adjustments. Pair with a T-Shirt and trainers for a casual look. Throw on a button down for work. Mix in heels and a silk top for evening.
5. Try a high-waisted wide leg with a tucked in top for extra chic. Complete the look with stacking accessories.
6. If pairing with a jacket, opt for a long jacket that will elongate you and complement the long lines already created by your wide leg. Or, go for a fitted jacket that hits you right at the waist.
7. White wide legs paired with a white or neutral shade on top is a killer combo. Fashionistas are gravitating to this combo like moths to a flame. Pair with rose gold accessories for a fresh look.
8. On the other hand, a high waisted black wide leg has an amazing slimming effect. If you're anything like me with a plate full of transgressions this Summer, you'll understand when I say -- they had me at "slimming."
9. Want to show a little skin? Always! Try a cropped wide leg, and pair it with a bootie with a little heel. Slay all day from Summer into fall with this look.
10. Don't shy away from wide legs for fancier occasions. It's all about the shoes and accessories. Metallic accessories always have a transformative effect. A few gold or bronze cuffs and a statement necklace for the win!
"I feel the same way about clothes as I do about food - I want everything." ~Mindy Kaling~
SHOP THIS STORY